Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday

My Mum

I thought I'd show a few things that hold memories of my Mum, she was born in 1918 so she had lots of vintage stuff, most of which my sibs did not want, their loss my gain!


I have some beautiful linens, this table cloth was hand made by Mum's oldest sister my Aunty Mary who was a missionary nurse in the Belgian Congo. I understand that it took a couple of years to make & looking at the embroidery & the crocheted edges I believe it. The cloth was a 21st. birthday gift so that would have been 1939.


These "doilies" were made by Mum, not sure when but around the same era. In those days ladies were taught all the "ladylike" skills of handwork!


These plates were also a 21st. gift I believe, they were well used & I love them. The pattern is "Nasturtians" by Royal Doulton.
My Mum would have been the first to tell you she was not a great cook & actually disliked it immensely [she would much rather work in the garden all day] one reason I learned my way around the kitchen very early in life & turned out to be an enthusiastic cook, self defense I always say!
However, living in the outback of Australia for many years Mum collected heaps of recipes that use very basic ingredients & here is the little book with her handwritten collection.
A few things I remember she made very well, one, home made ginger beer from a "ginger beer plant"[ that sat in a dish on the kitchen window sill] non alcoholic & so refreshing on a hot Australian summer day, cold, gingery & tingly yum! I have tried unsuccessfully to duplicate this recipe so if anyone can offer advice from their own experience I would love to make some.
Mum also made a terrific, rich caramel sauce, thick, golden cream from our little Jersey cows & brown sugar, that's all. These Caramel Apple Rolls remain in my taste bud memory & Golden Steamed Pudding, one of Dad's favorites & very popular with the rest of the family- it enticed me to eat my vegetables on many an occasion, "no dessert unless you eat your veges", remember!


Here's where Mum must have first moved into the microwave adventure, I recall she never really got the hang of it, too many years with an old fuel stove, LOL!
This apron I made for my Mum, my first Home Ec. project in 7th.grade, I had to draft the design & then hand embroider & do the "pulled thread" work. You can see how worn it is but I found it in Mum's linen closet all starched & ironed.



Here is my favorite photo of Mum & me, isn't she beautiful? I think I was close to one year old.
You can barely see the pin she is wearing on her left side just below my hand-my Dad made it for her when he was in New Guinea during WW2 & I have it still.
Now pop over to Suzanne's blog to catch up with the rest of the VTT gang!

25 comments:

Ulla said...

I love to see how your Mum has worn and cherished the apron you made for her! My mother is born in 1916, still wearing aprons I have sewn for her. Even your tablecloth and doilies look familiar to me!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

wow.. pretty table cloth!.. IT IS your GAIN! Love reading the story of each item you shared. and the recipe book is precious! My mom did the same. She had one book where she keeps all her recipes. Happy VTT

ClassyChassy said...

Great posting today - I enjoyed reading the stories and the handwritten recipes! The tablecloth is gorgeous too - how lucky you are to have it!

mereth said...

My mum had a book like that too, with family favourites written in her beautiful handwriting. And she had two or three of the 'wings' brooches, made for her by pilot friends and my dad, during the war. The clear part was perspex from the aeroplanes, and they all seemed to like making the jewellry in their spare time. There must be quite a few still in existence, and treasured for their memories.

Unknown said...

So many wonderful memories of your mother. I love the apron you made and how great that she used it and took such good care of it.

Janet, said...

I posted while ago, but it didn't seem to work, so I'll try again. I love embroidered items! I almost posted some of mine last night. Yours are beautiful.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

How very special all of these items are, especially the pin made by your Dad. Your Mum was a beauty. And her handwork just perfect. How sad no one else wanted these items, but lucky for you. You recieved a treasure trove of history.
Thanks for sharing.

Kucki68 said...

I actually like the apron you made for your mom and I am still trying to convince myself of the need for one as I am a messy person in the kitchen.

Susan said...

Roslyn, what a lovely post and your mum is beautiful. My mother was born in 1916. Your mum could sew but mine could cook. Those doilies and everything, very nice things of your mother's.

Beca said...

Wow! Your mother was very beautiful! I love your linens! I love anything embroidered. Great treasures.

Sarah said...

You have so many beautiful things to treasure as well as beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing thisl

Barbara Jean said...

Roslyn,
Those are beautiful treasures. I especially like the hand-work, and how wonderful you have those.

Thank you for coming by to see my vintage items.

Blessings,
Barbara Jean

PS Wish you did live closer. I can see we like a lot of the same things. =0))

SUMMERSTEAD said...

Wonderful items, I'm not sure I can pick a favorite! That's a great picture of you and your mom - I love your mom's hat.

Coloradolady said...

This was a great post. I loved all your vintage treasures that belonged to your mom. I love the fact you have the pin your dad made and a picture of your mom wearing the pin, that is really nice. Your tablecloths are beautiful, but I have a fondness for linens too. And what a treasure to have a handwritten cookbook. Lovely Post today. I really enjoyed reading it.

bj said...

I enjoyed this posting so so much! The treasures you have are fabulous. Your mother was, indeed, a beautiful lady. I am so glad you have all these precious memories. They are priceless!
xo bj

Stephanie said...

This was such a great post. You have so many special items to share...the photo and the pin at the end were my favorite.

Have a great weekend!

Stephanie

farmlady said...

Oh Roslyn, I'm so envious of those linens. They are absolutely beautiful. All the photos are wonderful. Such good memories behind each treasure.
Your Mom was beautiful. Our Moms were born in the same year:1918. Such a long time ago. Such a different world.

Bea said...

Ros, I too loved your post today. What beautiful memories you have of a beautiful woman. I think you did a wonderful job on that apron. Looks like your mother treasured it.

Carrie said...

I enjoyed seeing all your lovely treasures...the linens are very beautifully done.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. What a sweet VTT post.

The apron brought a little tear to my eye. That's great that you have her recipes - I'm trying to save mine for my daughter. :)

And, of course, I always love embroidered linenes.

Miri said...

Wonderful memories and wonderful vintage linens...love the apron you made for your Mom!
Great photo of the two of you!

Anonymous said...

Oh...yes she was beautiful and her handiwork divine. How beautiful those doilies!

Anonymous said...

OHHHH what gorgeous treasures..i love them all!!..your mum was a classy looking lady :)

Anonymous said...

These are such wonderful stories! You are so lucky to have such family treasures - the apron, the pin, the great photo! ~kelly

unDeniably Domestic