Saturday, February 23, 2008

Binding class


The Bernina Connection held the "No hands, piped binding "class today- Gale & Ruth, both friends from the CO. guild, had signed up too. Gale & I visited a couple of other quilt shops on the way, bad, bad, bad! Gale doesn't often have the opportunity to fabric shop, there's nothing closer for her in CO. than Grand Junction for fabric. Gale LOVES cowboy/girl/western fabrics & boy did she add to her stash today. Gale says she would be in BIG trouble if she lived 5 minutes from a QS. I wasn't nearly as bad, LOL, just a few yards of some orientals[40% off] for more sudoku type quilts & enough extra to do the binding on my CC mystery. I was quilting away on the CC quilt & the final row at the bottom border looked a bit full but I thought I could quilt it out. Well, I did, no tucks, but I was sufficiently unhappy with the result that I took the quilt off the LA & frogged all of the last row, removed the border & will resew it. I finished up the "unsewing" tonight & have repinned the border. After I resew it I will put it back on the LA & quilt the last row. I just used a simple panto rather than investing hundreds of $$ in the baptist fan templates from which I would never have got my money's worth. I used QD wool batting & oh how I love that batting, so much so that I ordered a whole case of it! I plan to use the newly learned piped binding technique on this quilt, the piping from the red stripe cut on the bias & the binding the same as border fabric.
The binding class was enlightening & I think that it will be my preferred binding finish for my quilts from now on-I do dislike the handwork part of traditional binding, it's so slow, & this method looks very professional. I guess the girl who taught it today learned it from Ricky Timms & then tweaked it a bit .
I should get to bed, we are going to early church tomorrow so we can get a good start on finishing up Jonathan's condo renovation-he is on 2 weeks vacation & we are hoping to finish up the remaining work this next week. Madeleine & I will paint while the guys install the rest of the new wood laminate flooring, & I can't wait to see it all done. He should be right then till he finishes grad school & moves on to a full size house.

1 comment:

Linda said...

The colors you chose for your quilt are great....It's amazing how different all the quilts look with the different colors. take care, Linda