Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Hannah's Baby Quilt

This one is for her expected great granddaughter. The center applique was made by her friend who was so unhappy with it she was ready to throw it away, but Hannah rescued it!
Applique is not my favorite to quilt, some quilting has to be done in the applique to keep it from "poofing" and there lies the problem! It must be minimal to retain the appearance of the technique but sufficient to tack it down.
 My friend Gale suggested a feather heart around the girls, and that was a really good solution.
 I decided to do ruler work in the blocks simple and clean.
 Some years ago I purchased Delo's Appliguide but have never used it until today!
It really did help to control stitching around the appliqued pieces, so I will use it again. I used Masterpiece 100% cotton 50wt.thread and Aurifil 50wt. cotton.They both performed very well on my Prodigy machine. Batting is Quilter's Dream Angel. 
And now back to the Baptism quilts, two more to quilt.

1 comment:

Cactusneedle said...

What a sweet quilt! Glad the applique was rescued and used in a quilt. I just finished a quilt for my sister-in-law's soon to be born great grandson and gifted it this past Saturday at the baby shower. Baby quilts seem to be the only quilts I finish!