Monday, September 3, 2018

August Quilting

This little Bonnie Hunter wall hanging is Angela's. Very cute so I custom quilted it in all different designs, with feather style hearts around the border and up the center and a feather heart in the star. It measures about 23"x37" and I confess I had never seen this one before. I know Angela is anxious to get it hanging in her home! I used a gold thread that blends nicely with all the many different fabrics.
This sort of primitive design benefits from a whimsical sort of quilting
 The quilt below I made using small squares of 30's and 40's reproduction fabrics I had left from another project. The white on white background is a beautiful Timeless Treasures fabric that is sadly discontinued but fortunately I bought a bolt of it when I saw it some years ago. I decided the combination would make a very sweet baby quilt for our expected second great granddaughter due the end of October. It is about 58"square
The thread is white and the batting the lightest weight Dream Angel non flammable
Our August retreat at Lakeside AZ was wonderful break from the city and the heat. Daytime temps were in lower 80's and low 50's at night.  I managed to piece two baby quilt tops for upcoming Baptisms at St. Mark Church.
 They are very similar because they both came from a kit I had ordered for a larger quilt and decided to use the fabrics for baby quilts. They measure about 42"x50" or so.
I have some cute backings for them that are more colorful and I will quilt them in modern style, choosing several different designs for each row and repeating them.
My biggest project at retreat was to piece the baby quilt for expected great grandson, due Christmas Day. It's called "The Whale Tale" and I love the pattern design but as many decades as I have been quilting, this was still a bit frustrating. The pattern directions were missing some essential instructions and after emailing the designer three times I finally heard back from them nearly three weeks later, long after I had figured out the problems for myself! They say they have updated the corrections so I hope it will prevent future piecers headaches!
Next I have a queen size Bonnie Hunter quilt to put on the longarm before I can get to the smaller ones. Oh and I also prepped another baby quilt at retreat ready to sew up in October when we will be back in Lakeside for more lovely weather and wonderful food and ambience.

1 comment:

Andee Neff said...

Cannot wait to get my hands on this one and figure out where I will hang it!