Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Last Three?

Bragging about something can cause one to eat one's words, as is the case with "being finished with baby quilts for the year"! After Bible study this morning I found out there is probably another baptism, previously unknown, next Sunday night after 5:30 pm. service. Since I am leaving on a four day quilt retreat tomorrow morning this babe will have to wait a week [or two] for his quilt.
Last night I completed the quilt for great grandson Sterling due Christmas Day, "The Whale Tale" quilt, and no, that is not a spelling error, the pattern is called Whale Tale.
In an attempt to portray true color I first draped it over DH's truck, but then I had him hold it up for a better view.
 In daylight these are more the true colors. Below is a pic taken indoors and even without flash there is one fabric that reads very pink
With or without flash it was the same thing, a very pink tint on one fabric. Odd isn't it?
 This was great fun to quilt, the clouds were easy and the whale tail is simply meander. In the ocean I used an inverted clam shell design and every other row reversed the clam and sewed over the previous stitching to create a design that looks like fish.The birds are SID outlined.
I forgot to embroider before I mounted the backing on the long-arm so I had to sew on a separate piece for the label.
A couple of months ago I ordered labels from Finerribbon.com < https://www.finerribbon.com >and I am very pleased to be able to add one to each of my quilts now. The back of the label lists care instructions.
 I had to piece the backing and thought there was sufficient of the lighter blue but once I had it pieced it was obvious it was a bit small for the long-arm and I found this long strip of ocean looking fabric in stash that was perfect to run down the center. QD Dream Angel batting and Auriful #50 weight light blue 100% cotton thread.
Just perfect for a boy whose Dad is in the Navy!
The next two are what I thought were the final two Baptismal quilts for 2018. They are almost identical to two others I made recently with a few fabric substitutions and different backings.
 To coordinate with the nautical stripe, a sailboat backing and red pin dot binding to set it all off.

Fun to quilt these modern designs alternating in each stripe.
 Below, another look alike from a recent quilt, 24.5" MSQC Crown blocks.
Fast and effective for small bits of fabric.
The backing from stash is feminine and coordinates nicely with the front

2 comments:

Cactusneedle said...

Love the whale quilt!

Quilty Constance said...

The link for the labels doesn't work for me. Can you provide a correct link? I do like your "real" labels.