Monday, August 13, 2018

Hannah's King size Quilt

 Finally got this one off the longarm. It took longer than expected and I am happy to get it in the mail and move along to the next challenge! The requested thread is 100% cotton light blue Aurifil 50wt. To my delight and surprise this thinner thread sewed well in my Prodigy machine with minimal fluff! I used Masterpiece 50wt. white cotton thread in the bobbin winding them on my trusty K-Craft Super Bobbin Winder which I highly recommend. I had minimal "pokey" issues using two different colors, Prodigy is great that way.
So the quilting is hardly noticeable on the top, and only in the center. I think a neutral off white would have been nicer, showing better in the center blocks and much better in the borders. Oh well, it isn't my quilt!
 I always love the solid backings making the quilt nicely reversible and the quilting shows well. Hannah does not like "tight quilting" so the feathers are very large and the piano key border widely spaced.
 The only way I could fill the space between the feather border and the inside blocks was to do a large meander, any other fill would have been too tight. I always enjoy the result of highlighting the secondary pattern and how it makes the blocks appear to be set on point. A little ruler work around the feather wreaths adds to the illusion.
Next up, the baby quilt for expected great granddaughter Layla, due in late October!

1 comment:

Bird Removal Dundalk said...

Lovely blog, thanks for sharing