Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Tree Quilt

I am linking up with Needlework Tuesday.
This is quilted and bound, ready for the "bling"! It has 20 LED lights to go behind the quilt and poke through holes you make with eyelets or buttonholes, but I think I might wait on the lights until I have more time to see how they can best be attached. I have read on my professional quilters group that those who have tried to put the lights on have had a frustrating time of it, they won't lay properly when pushed through the holes.
I have the hot touch tool to put on some nice bling and may make that do for this year.
The predominant thread is Superior Silver Metallic, it sews like a dream no breaking or fraying. The background behind the tree is Superior SO Fine in a dark blue that will allow the tree and stars to stand out more once they have their bling!
There are two batting layers, the base is Dream Green for stability topped off with the yummy Dream Wool to give definition.
On the tree itself I used Superior Glitter thread, just a meander and loops to mimic lights strung on the tree, it also sews perfectly not at all fragile. Neither of these threads require much machine adjustment, just loosen the tension a little Superior really does make the premier threads for machine quilting.
The stars are quilted with simple Linedancing in the silver thread.
The sashing has a ribbon design.
Tomorrow the bling!

3 comments:

Cactusneedle said...

Beautiful! I love the sparklies.

Threeundertwo said...

This is beautiful. I've seen the version with lights, I think with tiny buttonholes. What a fun technique. I think I'd like to try it with a wreath quilt.

Heather said...

your tree looks wonderful. What a pleasure it would be to enjoy all season. I haven't used the Superior thread. I did check and one of my local stores carries some of their varieties. Thanks for the tip about their metallic.

Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.