Here is how it looked during this part of the process- I spaced them out in approximate position and pinned just so I had an idea how it would work out but then I really had to "float" the quilt, there was no way to roll this onto the bottom roller! As I completed each row though I could then roll it up and position the next section with proper placement.
A couple of videos showing the process. This video shows how I had to "float" the top with the batting, leaving it a whole lot looser and less stable than I am comfortable with, but I couldn't think of a better way to do it. Once I got to the final couple of feet I did attach the bottom edge of the batting to the bottom leader.
Close up of one of the attached hankies.
I then removed the project from the longarm machine and re-loaded with the backing and it's cryptic label!
This is the backing fabric Andrea chose, and I think it will probably be the binding also.
Onto the final phase before binding and I am feeling good about it now that most of the new challenges seem to be behind me!