Thursday, May 10, 2018

Orphan Block Deer Quilt

These were a set of blocks from a kit, one where I did not read the directions! I could not figure out how to make a quilt of the resulting mess of odd looking blocks so I took it to quilt retreat two years ago and Jen, clever lady, set the blocks on point so they made sense.
This was Jen after straining her design brain to find a way to put the blocks together!
 I had a bit of fabric left, enough to make another couple of blocks to finish up the necessary number.
 For a rescue I think it turned out quite well.
It took another year to find a fabric for the setting triangles and I was weary enough of this quilt not to care that it featured deer, and I scrounged together sufficient for a final border and a piece from another project for binding! Whew! It lay around another six months or so but today I finished the quilting and got the binding on, so happy for another UFO to be off the list, woohoo!
 The backing was from another kit that I bought on sale with the intention of using the fabrics for stash. It's about40"x65", and may end up a baby quilt or a small lap quilt. A bonus, I had enough Quilter's Dream "Dream Angel" batting left from a couple of other quilts to join together for this quilt
The quilting looks a little strange from the back but the fabric is busy enough for it not to matter.

No comments: