Thursday, April 26, 2018

35th.Ave 2017 BOM Quilt

When I signed up for this quilt I did not realize the color scheme and if I had paid closer attention I probably would not have done it at all. I "suffered" through and completed the 12 months and now the quilt is finished. It's very plain, all solid color fabrics and traditional block piecing. The design included more sashings which I decided not to add just wanting to be done with it, and as it turned out bypassing the extra sashing has formed an eye catching secondary block design so that it looks as if it were set "on point".
For once a happy unintended consequence!
Because the quilt was basically boring to me I decided to try and "kick it up a notch" by going full custom on the quilting and I think I succeeded! 
 Feather wreaths were no brainer [when in doubt feather it] but it took a while to decide what to do with the sashing. I found when I came up with a ruler design to fill in the space that it formed a very interesting frame for the feather wreaths, I have become very fond of ruler work, even though it consumes a fair bit of time it can be very effective.
 The backing is a green ticking and I don't remember how I came by it, a donation I believe, and grey for binding. Continuing in the green theme I used Quilter's Dream Green batting which is made from recycled soda bottles, has a soft feel and creates good definition. It is also probably indestructible, LOL.
I really like the effect from the back, the design shows up very well.
Now to decide what goes on the Longarm machine next, I am making very good progress this last few weeks but it may be a few days, our little dog may have very serious surgery tomorrow.

No comments: