Friday, November 25, 2011

The Day after The Feast!

Having a severely reduced kitchen there was no turkey cooked at our house but I was fortunate to be gifted with the leftover skeleton of a smoked turkey which made up into a wonderfully fragrant and tasty pot of turkey soup with just enough of the smokiness coming through.
As a little something to accompany the soup I made a Kiwi -Pomegranate relish.

I made it for the first time last week and we [DH, JW and I] thought it a very different and appealing mixture of sweet and spicy, a nice change from the ubiquitous tomato salsa found everywhere here in the southwest.
BJ brings me all of the more "exotic" fruit and vegetables from her Bountiful Baskets, and pomegranates have been in season so I have had a few lately! As a child I thought them delicious and here they are a rarer treat as they are not plentiful in this area, so I was anxious to try a couple of new ideas for them. I am happy to have discovered this recipe, and if you would like a change from salsa and have access to this odd fruit give this a try.

Kiwi-Pomegranate Salsa
4 or 5 firm kiwi peeled and chopped coarsely
arils [seeds] and juice of 2 pomegranates
a firm avocado coarsely chopped
2 tblsp. thinly sliced green onions
1-2 pickled jalapenos finely chopped
2 tblsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all together folding ingredients gently. Serve with tortilla chips. I found that it's best to use both kiwi and avocados that are only just ripe enough so that they do not disintegrate in the mixture.
I tried just one jalapeno and for us it was insufficient, but you can adjust that to suit your own taste. I also added juice of half a lime the second time, adds a little piquancy.

Below a pic taken yesterday of little DGS with adoring GM.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Yum! that recipe sounds fabulous! Am going to have to try it when DH is home

Gari in AL said...

You look very southwestern in your crinkle skirt. GS looks good, too.