Thursday, February 24, 2022

Log Cabin Beads

 This beautiful quilt came from Texas and I love it enough to want to make one too! It took me a few days to figure out how I wanted to quilt it but it really needed custom and the feather wreaths in the beads were easy but oh those circles took me a very long time using different sizes of templates.

It was worth it for the effect, I cannot allow anything to leave my hands unless it pleases my critical eye!
Separate borders finish the look with a reverse feather outer border
The backing makes the quilt reversible and shows the quilting better.
I had lots of plans for Christmas quilting but life got in the way and I only made two small projects, this little paper pieced tree for myself and an angel tryptich for a friend. 
                            My tree is missing something, I think it needs some red ornaments! 
And I guess I forgot to take a picture of the angels, and I was so sure that I had!!
These next four quilts were for our great grandchildren and they are what took up all my pre-Christmas quilting time! At that point we had two girls and one boy.
Their birthdays are October, November and December so a decision has been made to have one party in November for all three.
Paisley was four in October and got the horse quilt. Poppa has a little pony for the grandkids and she loves to ride.
Here it is spread out on our KS bed.
                                                An asymmetrical pieced backing using stash!
  Paisley and brother Sterling, three in December, share a bedroom with bunk beds, their quilts are generous single bed size. Sterlingling loves everything dinosaur so of course his quilt had to be-dinosaurs!
Sterling was the only one whose quilt required the purchase of more fabric than just the panel. I really had nothing in stash that would coordinate with the dinosaur panel but I was fortunate to have appropriate fabric for the backing in stash.

Layla was three in November and like many little girls is all about princesses! She is on the petite side so her quilts fit a youth bed. I was fortunate to find panels for all three children’s quilts and added borders of coordinating fabrics, mostly from stash.
                                                                    Layla’s backing
                                                                   Love this picture. 
Layla got very lucky this year because I made two more quilts for her to keep at her Mom’s house. More Princesses, but this time from the movie Frozen which little girls also seem to adore! If you look closely you can see I chose to crosshatch the picture part of the panel. I have found this is a neater option than trying to outline the quilt realistically and to me looks as if you are peering through a window at the people. And, by careful positioning of the quilting lines it’s possible to mostly avoid quilting on the faces.                                          
Another panel and how sweet that I had just the right fabrics to coordinate with the panel and also to make the backing. I do a happy dance when I can rotate my fabrics to make room for the current purchases!
 All the children’s quilts were custom quilted, the panels make that necessary I think.
One more little quilt, a small ”drag around/lay on the floor” quilt for Layla to take to Mom’s house, just so she knows Great Grandmother loves her wherever she is!
                                                                  
I am struggling and in a time wasting mode because I am not familiar with working off my iPad Pro in Blogger and it is a lot different to the laptop, but my laptop is a dinosaur 13 year old MacBook. It has no blue tooth and cannot connect wirelessly with my other Mac devices so pictures from the iPhone and iPad Pro do not seamlessly populate in the iPhoto album! I also haven’t discovered how to edit pics in Blogger yet on the iPad other than enlarging them, another irritation. Obviously I need to update, probably with a small desktop since I have the iPad for portability. However life has got in the way, but I am at least now looking into coming up to scratch! The drag around quilt, just right size for a tiny 3 year old girl to carry around!
A couple of photos her Mom sent me I can add- Mom says she is “Obsessed with them. Quite literally” which makes Great Grandmother’s heart happy!     
                           In AZ the room will need to be chilled for the summer,LOL.

No comments: