Monday, May 2, 2011

My Dad's Quilt

My Dad is reaching the century mark next month so some of my AZ family are going DownUnder to celebrate this amazing event with him.
A week or so back I realized that I had not planned a quilt for him, so last week I went to my stash and began a search for suitable fabrics. It had to be something that would go together fast and also be appropriate. I settled on a couple of fabrics from Kaufman's "Under The Australian Sun" choosing a large scale print that I didn't want to cut up and framing it with one of the coordinates.
It is doubly appropriate being Australian flora because my Mum was a master gardener and loved all the wildflowers so much that she hand embroidered a beautiful shirt and shawl for me showing many of Australia's unique native flora. I will post pics of these items when we return to Phx. later in the week.
The backing is a lovely soft red brushed cotton from PBR fabrics and the batting is Dream Angel Select. The quilt is lap-size 46"x52", so it won't drag on the floor when Dad sits in his recliner.
It's simply quilted with flannel flowers and a leafy border using Sew Fine and Bottom Line threads. For non-Aussies, the flannel flowers are the cream ones with green tipped petals and the large red proteas are waratahs, the state flower for New South Wales where my Dad resides.
I hope that he likes it, at 100 years old he is rather difficult to please or impress having seen everything from horse and buggy days to space travel!


7 comments:

Ruby said...

Gorgeous! I would love to send your Dad a birthday card??? :)

Reddirt Woman said...

How wonderful! Both the quilt and your father celebrating is 100th! My dad lived to 92 and one of his sister's made 99. They both would have liked to have made 100, but fell a little short. Me, I just want to know who I am, one year at a time!

Have a great trip and celebration. I'm sure that your dad will appreciate the quilt... because it will be delivered by his daughter and the family.

Hugs and safe travels...

Helen

Gramma 2 Many said...

It is beautiful Roz. Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Jody said...

Congrats to your Dad! Love that line of fabric--in fact I just finished a top using it and the pattern Just Can't Cut It by All Washed Up.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Wow! 100!! Happy birthday to your Dad!! I think he will love this special quilt you are making for him, with all the flowers that will remind him of your mothers beautiful gardens. Just perfect!

farmlady said...

He will love it! It's beautiful!
The flowers are so pretty. That Waratah flower is so bright and it's obvious that you thought this quilt out, with it's "Under The Australian Sun" fabric, and the size of it fitting his recliner.
At 100 yrs. he should appreciate the effort. His daughter is gifted. Tell him I said so.
Also, tell him Happy Birthday....

June D said...

Nice quilt and story - have a wonderful visit!