Monday, February 28, 2011

Meteor Shower Quilt

This is the first quilt of this style I have quilted. It's quite lovely, unusual with it's off enter block placement but I doubt it would be as charming if it were more orderly and Leslie's fabric choices are beautiful. I think construction is challenging, none of Judy's patterns I have examined are for the faint of heart!
I couldn't decide for a while what to do about the quilting, but I chose a separate spineless feather border, curls and leaves for the bright stars......
and casual loopy feathers for the open areas.
I found it too hard to figure a way to quilt identical feathering designs because of the randomness of the stars so the feathers amble randomly around the background.
Not sure why but I lost the "cruise control" on my machine about two thirds the way through so that was annoying, and my hindsight knowledge about the quilting was a regret on the thread color choice.
Unfortunately I was well along by the time I realized it, so no way to change it but if I had it to do over I would use a cream thread rather than the gold because it showed up the back-tracking more than I like.
I hope that Leslie will not mind too much, I have told her my angst over it and sent lots of pics ahead though it really doesn't show until you are close up. I know how much time and effort went into the construction of this treasure and I wanted it to be perfect so I am disappointed in my thread decision.
Leslie's GD, the recipient of the quilt, has just been awarded a prima scholarship to the college of her choice so the family is justifiably very proud of her.
Happy birthday Katie and congratulations!




2 comments:

Lindah said...

The quilting looks gorgeous to me, Ros! The whole quilt is just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the quilt. It is qorgeous and Katie will be blown away by it as I am!!
I can't wait for her to see it (on the 23rd). Now on to the binding.
Leslie