Sunday, July 14, 2019

A Quilting Extravaganza!

The past month since the Colorado trip has been very productive, lots of quilting but no binding! I never know when a Baptism will pop up at church so it's nice to have a few baby quilts on hand.
This first one I call the Rainbow quilt was done in Texas with Leslie last year and we tried out a "new to us" technique of freehand piecing. It was not my favorite way to piece and I doubt I will use it again, I found it very frustrating to be sewing random bits and pieces of fabric together to make a certain sized strip from it. Argh, a little mild cussing occurred and much grumbling I confess!
I quilted a different design in each row of color and the background with peacock feathers
The pieced backing from stash
The HST quilt was made at a Lakeside retreat last year from left over solids from my Texas projects
 I quilted it on the diagonal for a more interesting effect. The backing is a piece of flannel from a previous project.
 The next two are made from donated batik strips, one for a boy and one for a girl. I quilted E_E on both using different designs. I did not take a picture of the backing on the green one, it is a tiny green print.
 I know we will soon have a girl's Baptism, our music leader and his wife had a baby girl recently
The backing again pieced from stash
I have already prepped bindings for three of the above quilts and then wrapped them on a piece of sturdy cardboard.
The next is not a baby quilt and I think it is called Blooming Snowballs? I made it with Leslie in Texas three years ago and only now have it quilted
I am so glad though that I waited because I am much more adventurous in my quilting and I am sooo happy with the result. I first decided on the borders and the rest fell into place making an unintentional secondary design in the squares 
 A pieced backing again, there are so many different fabrics in the top, why not??
And it helps to reduce stash and rotate fabric-so I can buy more,LOL
 





No comments: