Thursday, February 21, 2019

A Mid Century Modern Wedding Quilt

I need to have this quilt finished fast, the wedding is next week! I was set back a bit with that nasty, no good, very bad, terrible flu! I ached and spiked a fever for ten days before I finally began to feel it would go away! So last Thursday I ventured out for the first time in 10 days and have been trying to catch up ever since. The couple for whom I make the quilt has a mid century modern style home/decor and this design seems to fit that.
Here you can find details of the inspiration for my quilt. Suzy's free quilt pattern is only 58"x64" and I need a queen size about 95" square. Also I only have three colors requested by the couple, navy, gold and white, so I had to do a lot of math!
Here is my version ready to go on the longarm.
So I needed to add two rows across and two rows down. Adding up all the different fabrics that outline the center I then added about one third more of the the navy strips, the same with the white and the gold. I had ordered five yards each of navy and white and two yards of the gold for the centers and it is enough and then some with navy for binding.
Now on the longarm. At first I planned to quilt it very modern a la Angela Walters but as I studied the finished top, more and more I wanted something clean and simple. I looked through a lot of designs and finally settled on the last design I did, clamshell,  but this time right way up!
It is pleasing to my eye, non fussy and perfect for a platform bed where it will be tucked under the mattress. With any "luck" at all I may get it all quilted tomorrow after the gym.

2 comments:

Clipping Path said...

What a beautiful card. So nice colouring.

Unknown said...

Nicest quilt I've seen on the internet.