Friday, November 21, 2014

Friday Finishes!

Woohoo, two to show for today, I am getting caught up.
First this Scrappy Mountain Majesties quilt by Angela, who really is the number one fan of the designer Bonnie Hunter. And what a great quilt for a guy, it's for Angela's second son.
 The quilting came out really nicely using a variegated blue Signature thread in top and bobbin.
The backing is a mottled blue but it looks much different in the pic. I seem to have broken my Nikon camera by dropping it so I have to rely on the iPhone.
Next a small hand appliqued quilt in the Hawaiian style. The quilter made this using needle-turn technique where the stitching is ideally invisible.
 Using variegated Superior King Tut threads, a gold and a pink/purple on front of the quilt and the finer  Superior Masterpiece in a pale lilac for the bobbin.
 You can see a little stitching in the large applique areas to prevent it "poufing".
 It is usually quite difficult to use two very different colors top and bobbin, but in this case it worked, no "pokies".
 It worked for two major reasons I think, Masterpiece thread is a very fine cotton thread #50, and my machine tension is perfectly balanced. Additionally the hues of both threads were close so neither one popped out as different.
 Here you can see that the Masterpiece blended very well in the backing.
The longer I work at this craft the more I learn and am willing to experiment and take some risks to get the very best results.
Here's the linky for you to join in and show your weekly progress.

2 comments:

Andee said...

ROS! LOVE IT! Really looks great, so excited to have all my Christmas quilts done--or close to it!

Andee said...

ROS! LOVE IT! Really looks great, so excited to have all my Christmas quilts done--or close to it!