Sunday, June 9, 2019

Two Vintage Quilts

I was asked to quilt these so a great granddaughter could have them. They were well preserved, one I think is more thirties and the other maybe 50's The earlier quilt is very different, the fabrics are not as fine and it is half hand pieced and half by machine.
The hand sewn areas were not all stable, some gaps in stitching that had to be stabilized as I quilted.
 Above is the older quilt, lots of puckering and beginner type sewing!
 In all the hand piecing I have seen in the USA, a simple running stitch was used rather than the "backstitch" I learned as a child to close seams.
These two blocks were in pretty good shape but many others were not
I custom quilted it to strengthen the piecing so it can be carefully laundered and gently used! I added a complimentary turquoise double fold binding to complete the restoration.
This is the later quilt, all machine pieced and square and all seams complete. The fabrics are a better quality, there is a diagonal color plan for the blocks and the work is consistent with that of a more experienced sewer.  Unfortunately the maker is now gone to her reward so we cannot know the history behind either of these two quilt tops, just that the great grandma made them. Sad too, because it would be fun to know how the older quilt was constructed, if it was a teaching tool or just a very early work of the same person.
 Quilted with my favorite treatment for many vintage quilts, Baptist Fan is perfect for a one block quilt.
A red binding completes the work and compliments the chosen design. I understand that the recipient of these quilts is thrilled to have them which makes my day! I love to quilt and when it blesses others I am doubly blessed!

No comments: