Saturday, January 20, 2018

New baby Quilt Update

This one is now on the longarm, and hopefully quilted in the next couple of days, I plan to work on it after church tomorrow because the expected baby is on her way via C- Section as I write!
The construction process was interesting as the plan below shows. 
I have only had one other quilt pieced in odd shaped blocks before, but in this case it was simple and everything went together perfectly flat and square.
 I have a few of these little design boards that really helped
 to keep all the pieces in order as I sewed.
I worked on only one section at a time to avoid confusion!
Its much prettier in actuality, does not photograph well but perhaps quilting will help that. I dithered around about quilting design thinking to do something custom and modern but it did not suit so I am doing E-E freehand feminine feathery thing!
We had our monthly MeetUp today, only four of us there but we all made some progress. I managed to piece the 35th. Ave BOM, I am so pleased to have that one done it is not my favorite. I paid no attention to the order I sewed the blocks together and it probably made no difference?! Add that one to the other half dozen of my own quilts awaiting the longarm!
The blocks have their own sashing that makes a secondary pattern so I did not add more and there will be no border, it's already 45"x72" and will probably be a baby quilt. I have some pink and grey striped fabric that I think will work for the backing.
 I had to search the internet for "Quadriga Cloth"- it was manufactured by Ely and Walker Dry Goods Company and has a special finish that makes it appear similar to a polished cotton, very soft hand and fine thread count. The company went out of business decades ago so this is likely a vintage fabric. It's only 36" wide and was given to me at some point years ago! Any further information would be welcomed!

No comments: