Sunday, November 26, 2017

More New Toys!

My cutting mat had been showing signs of overuse so I went searching, recalling that a friend had told me about Martelli mats and how they put them on sale half price every year in the Fall. My cutting table is large 30"x 70" and previously I had a custom made mat but on the Martelli website I found one 30"x 60" that I thought would work. These are double sided and self healing, although the Martelli ergonomic cutter is recommended.
I took the leap and ordered the largest mat. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and so far I am very pleased.
At 6lbs. it is substantial but way less hefty than the old mat that I could barely move and these days with severe arthritis, that is always a consideration.
 I decided to try the recommended Martelli cutter and found it at half the price on Amazon. This is a  different concept in cutting and it took me a while to get used to how I need to hold the tool but I believe it is easier on my fragile hands and wrists. There are several helpful youtube videos on use and care of this tool. And good news for lefties, it also comes in a specific blue model for them.
The cutter has a sturdy shield that is easily engaged and disengaged.
An artist is only as good as her tools, and so I have told myself that I not only need fine tools but also deserve them; and find no argument with myself, LOL.
As usual, I love to pass on information of a positive nature that may be helpful for other quilters. Unfortunately the Martelli mat half price sale is now over but they have an e-letter that gives notice of specials in case they do it again before next Fall. However, Amazon has a good price [25% off] on their mats and with Prime you save shipping.
I was so impressed with their products that I ordered the foot pedal mat because my DSM machine pedal always walked away from me, and others I had tried were fairly useless! This is quite effective, enough so that I purchased a second for the other machine.
Merry Christmas to me I guess!

No comments: