Monday, February 29, 2016

Allietare Ready for The Longarm

Three weeks after shoulder surgery I was back at the sewing machine last night. Of course my chosen project a very large quilt requiring final borders is a challenge to wrestle around with only one fully operational shoulder. The surgery turned out to be a doozy, not one but three major rotator cuff tears requiring biodegradable anchor screws, suturing etc. and a lengthy rehab.
It has been a very difficult time, I am unable to tolerate narcotic pain meds or even NSAIDS, and tylenol just doesn't cut it after such an extensive surgery. I begin rehab Thursday at the 4 week mark and I know that will not be very pleasant but the restriction on my activity has been the final blow so I hope to be able to ease back into the quilting world now.
 First I tried to hang the quilt, but it's so large[103"x117"] and I am mostly limited to the use of only the hand on my left side and finding this rather unsatisfactory I decided to hang it over the longarm.
Even so it was a struggle and my longarm table is 14ft. Overall I am quite happy with the addition of the piano key and other borders and now it will fit Wes's bed.
Tomorrow I hope to play on the longarm a bit, I have all these lovely new toys tools that are begging to be used!
Linking up with Heather for "Needlework Tuesday"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your back! I was waiting for your return from CO. Oh, my how did you even get the quilt on the long arm? You are one determined lady. Best of luck for your therapy. Keeping you on my prayers for healing and pain relief.

Dotti

Kate said...

That is a beautiful quilt. Slow and steady will get it finished and be easier on your shoulder. Avoid the temptation to do too much.

Heather said...

Good choice on the borders. they work well. Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.