I went searching among my "project boxes" and found these vintage fans that came from an estate sale a few years ago. Hand pieced, there were thirty four fans all missing outer corners, along with some extra blades.
I was able to piece together six more fans - by machine, I am not that much of a purist - for a total of forty fans.
Along with the fans etc in the project box, I found this pattern saved for a possible design choice for the quilt.
Serendipity, would you believe this pattern requires exactly forty fans for the body of the quilt!
Hmmmmm, I don't think I ever counted the fans before nor did I read the directions below, I just liked the picture, serendipity indeed!
It makes me happy to know that I will shortly have another WHIMM [Work Hidden In My Mind] off the shelf and onto the "completed" list!