Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day And A Sweet Treat

While I have no quilty Valentine post I do have a yummy one!
I made these Strawberry/Rosemary Scones this morning from a recipe on Foodtv.com from "Giarda at Home". I couldn't find my heart shaped cookie cutter so they are round and while aesthetically it changes them the taste is just fine as confirmed by the recipients.
It's a simple, easy recipe and the combination of fresh rosemary in the batter and lemon juice in the frosting provides a piquancy of flavor plus that little dab of strawberry jam? Well, it's really, really good they are tender, light, and not too sweet!
The trick with these kinds of recipes is:
 a] keep the ingredients chilly and
 b] handle as little as possible,
Mix only till just barely combined and then get them into the preheated oven ASAP. I do not roll out these doughs but just pat them gently till they are the correct thickness, a light touch is very important.
I used only lemon juice in the frosting although the recipe calls for water too. The frosting sets up nicely and these scones transported perfectly without disturbing their appearance.
While not at all resembling the real Aussie/English scones, these are still very good. Even the pronunciation is different, the American version is pronounced with a long "O" whereas antipodeans say scones with the short "O".
Clear as mud, right?
 LOL!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy. Thanks for visiting my blog. I have a PFAFF embroidery machine. Creative 4. I bought it 2 years ago and am still learning how to use it.

I have done the opposite of you. I am an American living in Aussie land. Married a guy from the RAFF 30 years ago. Retired now to Nelson Bay. Love it here by the ocean. Love the weather. Even thou it does not really get cold here, I do not like winter. Maybe I should go back to Oklahoma for the winters.

Keep on sewing. XX Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I tried to sign up following you on e mail. I was suppose to receive a link in my e mails be activated. I did not receive the link. I hope the notices will come to me with out activating the link. XX Kathleen

wendy said...

WHAT...you did not include the recipe??? I am a terrible baker, I wonder if I could pull this off.
Scones are wonderful.
An Aussie eh...that is very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again for your email to me. It will be fun to follow you hear and learn more about YOU.

wendy said...

I just went into and read the site you have set up for your son Matt. Very inspiring. He was a very handsome man, and surely was a great athlete.