Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday

My plan for today was to do some yard work and begin to plant some flowers because spring is coming and it comes early in AZ. Know how I know it's nearly spring? The mockingbirds are pooping on the paving stones and the outdoor furniture! Yuck.

So after a good clean up I planted just a few annuals, need to go buy more tomorrow, there are some empty pots on the patio.

DH wanted to put a swing in one of the trees for youngest DGS, so I got this one in Costco. Can't wait for him to try it out tomorrow.

Also found this lovely Azalea tree in Costco, it has two different colored blooms.

The heading of this post is Ash Wednesday,

and any who have read my blog for a while probably realize that I am a Christian, though I seldom speak of spiritual matters here. If you aren't interested, then here's where you can stop reading, LOL.
For Christians this day marks the beginning of Lent, a forty day season of reflection, meditation and repentance. The idea of "giving something up" is to help us to focus on God and our relationship with Him. If we fast from lattes, or beer, or movies, or TV [and I could easily fast from politics, LOL] we are encouraged to donate the savings to someplace where it could do some good.
I was taught that it is also important to "take something on". This year I am taking on my spiritual disciplines, prayer, study etc which have been rather poor since my son died when I lost energy for many things, including those that support my Christian life.
So please pray that I will be faithful, and I will report on my success at Easter.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

What a nice yard :)

earthmotherwithin said...

I hope Lent and Easter can be a time of renewal for you.